I am currently living and working at home in North Wiltshire.
In my role as Director of Research for Research England, I am focussing on:
- how to allocate additional funding streams (for specialist institutions, announced in Budget 2020, and capital funding, announced on 1 July 2020)
- working on Research England’s contributions to the Spending Review
- our upcoming call (joint with the Office for Students) on reducing inequalities in postgraduate research study
- the future work plan and projects of the Forum for Responsible Research Metrics
I am thinking about, researching, or drafting articles on:
- alternatives to peer review for the allocation of research funding (mentioned in a previous post)
- the implications of applying the ideas of systems thinking to the research system (also mentioned in a the same post)
- updating the ideas in my post on ‘Four trends shaping the future of research evaluation’ in the light of the pandemic
I am currently reading:
- Scale: The Universal Laws of Life and Death in Organisms, Cities and Companies by Geoffrey West Amazon UK link
- The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu Amazon UK link
Updated 11 September 2020. Inspired by this.