7 steps to restore trust in science – step 5
- Communicate about the process of science as well as the content [previous post]
- Make research outputs available to all for free [previous post]
- Publish negative results and unsuccessful experiments too [previous post]
- Publish peer review comments with research outputs. [previous post]
- Attach a summary for non-experts to research outputs. Science is becoming more and more specialised, so even scientists in related disciplines can find it challenging understand work that isn’t directly in their field. The challenges that people without a scientific background face are even greater, so scientific research appears remote. If every piece of research had a short clear summary written in non-technical language it would help everyone be clear about its implications.
- Make raw data available as early as possible
- Use new technology to open research conferences to all
Written on March 12, 2010
© 2018 Steven Hill. Unless otherwise stated, this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.